Car Finance Claims Manufacturers

Search by car manufacturer

“We found that some motor dealers are overcharging unsuspecting customers over a thousand pounds in interest charges in order to obtain bigger commission payouts for themselves.”

Jonathan Davidson, Financial Conduct Authority

Car Finance Claims FAQ


Some Frequently Asked Questions that consumers may have regarding making a car finance claim.

Car finance claims involve seeking redress or compensation related to issues or disputes arising from car finance agreements. Issues may include mis-selling, affordability, faulty cars, or unfair charges.

Any consumer who has taken out finance to purchase a car, such as through Hire Purchase (HP), Personal Contract Purchase (PCP), a credit card, or a personal loan, and believes they have grounds for complaint can make a claim.

You can make a claim if you believe the finance agreement was mis-sold, the car is of unsatisfactory quality, you were misled about the terms, or if you faced unfair and unreasonable charges.

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 ensures your right to a car that is of satisfactory quality at the time of supply. If the car doesn’t meet this standard, you may have a claim against the finance provider.

Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 can play a pivotal role when you’ve used a credit card or loan to finance your car purchase, allowing you to claim against the finance provider if there’s a breach of contract or misrepresentation by the seller.

Yes, if commissions were not adequately disclosed to you or there was misrepresentation about the finance agreement, you might have a valid car finance claim.

If you’re experiencing financial difficulty and can’t afford repayments, it’s important to contact your finance provider immediately. You may be able to make a claim if the finance was unaffordable from the outset.

To start a claim, gather all relevant documentation and evidence of your communications with the finance provider or car dealer. Then, contact a legal advisor or the finance provider directly to lodge a complaint.

You’ll need the credit agreement, any information provided about the car and its costs, communication records with the dealer or finance provider, and evidence of any faults or issues with the car.

If your claim is rejected by the finance provider, you can escalate the matter to the Financial Ombudsman Service for an independent review and potential resolution.

Accurate as of 23/1/24